qpid-users mailing list archives

From Bill Freeman <ke1g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Questions from a novice
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2013 23:50:16 GMT
Ken,

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Ken Giusti <kgiusti@redhat.com> wrote:

> > That sounds delux, since they would probably even survive moving a broker
> > from one server to another (with a different IP address.
>
> Whoa, moving a broker won't guarantee the fed-tag would be the same :(
>
> You see, the fed-tag is written to disk by the broker at startup, so it
> can be preserved across restarts.  But if you move the broker to a new
> machine, and it cannot find the fed-tag it has written to disk, it will
> create a new one.  Not something you'd want.  You'd have to move the
> contents of the working directory along with it.

I presume it's written to the data directory, yes?   So if the data
directory is copied, it should keep its tag?  Or is this a bad idea because
the data directory thinks it knows IP addresses of other federation members
(like Vulcan), even if they were originally specified by DNS name?  (The
moving is not particularly important.  I'm just trying to see how much
state I can keep if a box dies and the broker gets moved pending
replacement.)

> You can assign a "static" fed-tag to a broker using the federation-tag
> configuration option (either on the command line or via the qpid.config
> file).  If you deploy that way you have total control over how the fed-tag
> is used.

This sounds like a reasonable policy for us.

> And to be clear, if a broker is a member of a federation, then the tag is
> required.  And it must be unique across all brokers reachable by the
> federation.  And the tag isn't modified by the brokers, so it will be
> consistent across all brokers in the federation.

Good!

> FYI: opened a jira on that console.py issue:

Thanks for that.

And thanks in general.

Bill