qpid-users mailing list archives

From Aleš Trček <Ales.Tr...@halcom.si>
Subject RE: C++ broker and priority queues
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2013 11:46:47 GMT
The prefetch buffer was set to 1, but this is irrelevant for my test, which is as follows:
-create queue with --argument=qpid.priorities=10
-put a few messages with prio 6 to the queue (messageProducer.send(message, DeliveryMode.PERSISTENT,
6, 0);)
-put a few messages with prio 3
-put a few messages with prio 4
-check queue stats with qpid-stat - messages are in the queue
-run receive test, which gets messages one by one - first I get messages with prio 6, then
3, then 4, just the way I had sent them in (as said, I can see that priorities do get set
by calling message.getJMSPriority()).
[Actions are run one by one, so there should be no problems with session / connection.]

Therefore I assume that queue is still FIFO and not a priority queue. Did someone try this
and made it work? :)

Regards,
Ales

-----Original Message-----
From: Robbie Gemmell [mailto:robbie.gemmell@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:51 PM
To: users@qpid.apache.org
Subject: RE: C++ broker and priority queues

Are you sure the queue isn't a priority queue? What is the message activity you are using
to determine this?

Depending on the nature of your test, it is possible you are simply seeing the result of the
clients message prefetch buffer (defaults to 500msg) if you haven't adjusted it. You should
use a lower prefetch value with a priority queue if the ordering is of most importance to
you. See http://qpid.apache.org/books/trunk/AMQP-Messaging-Broker-Java-Book/html/Java-Broker-Queues-OtherTypes.html#Java-Broker-Queues-OtherTypes-SetLowPrefetchfor
more details.

Robbie