qpid-users mailing list archives

From Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Java broker queue questions....
Date Sun, 10 Mar 2013 17:14:26 GMT
On 10 March 2013 17:00, Fraser Adams <fraser.adams@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Thanks for the responses so far,
>
> Re: The MaximumQueueDepth is used for alerting... if you go above that
> then you start getting alerts. There's no correlation required between
> these two settings (nor must one be set if the other is).
>

> What sort of alerts are you talking about here? With the C++ broker
> there's a queueThresholdExceeded event sent in QMF if the queue depth
> exceeds ~80% of the queue's capacity (the 80% is configurable).

Log file alert messages, and if you subscribe for them JMX Notifications.
The idea is similar to what was eventually added to the C++ broker just
without the QMF events (Gordon actually added support for the argument
names the Java broker had used for years...though in our typical slight
differences, I seem to recall one of them is actually used for a completely
different thing :P).

With the C++ broker the queues generally behave as bounded buffers so
> either with reject or ring limit policy, with reject an exception gets
> thrown to producers, with ring it's a circular buffer.
>
> If I'm reading things correctly there doesn't seem to be the *direct*
> equivalent of these concepts but I guess that the flow control gives
> similar?

Correct (as just cross-posted in my other mail).