qpid-users mailing list archives

From Rob Godfrey <rob.j.godf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Java broker exchange questions
Date Sat, 09 Mar 2013 16:46:55 GMT
On 9 March 2013 17:30, Fraser Adams <fraser.adams@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Cheers Rob,
> That all concurs with my observations, so at least I've not missed anything.
>
> Part of the reason I asked is because of consistency with the C++ broker
> which does support these things. I'm currently most of the way through a
> QmfManagementPlugin which allows the Java Broker to be controlled by things
> like qpid-config and my QMF GUI. Most of the main bits are there now but
> when I test with qpid-config I'm keen to make sure that I map whatever I can
> into the Java Broker's internal model.

Yeah... The biggest gap is probable going to be broker <-> broker
federation links.  That code did exist previously in the Java Broker,
but it disappeared when we ripped out the QMF1 implementation.  We
could probably add it back in but it would have to fit within the new
internal model for configuration that Alex/Robbie have been working
on.

Other than that I don't think there are *huge* gaps, just a number of
things done annoyingly differently (Gordon and I have tried to rectify
this in fits and starts over the years).  The QMF schema also tended
to make some assumptions based on how the C++ broker was modelled that
just didn't hold true for the Java Broker.

> TBH I've never used IVE or sequence numbers myself, but I'm pretty sure that
> I have seen postings related to these in the context of the C++ broker so
> I'm guessing that some people do use them, I guess Gordon will probably
> recall such queries better than most.
>
> XML exchange is another matter and although not part of the AMQP standard
> it's got a lot of potential, that said the Java broker supports JMS Message
> Selectors which I guess probably cater for most of the use cases where the
> XML exchange may have been beneficial. Andrew Stitcher has started work on
> Message Selectors for the C++ broker (which is uber cool IMHO, I've been
> hoping for that for ages) so perhaps ultimately fully interoperable Message
> Selectors are a better way forward than XML exchanges?

So, personally I'm mostly looking at AMQP 1.0 these days where there
isn't the Exchange/Queue division and selection/distribution is a
property of the links.  As such I'm not sure I'd personally spend a
lot of time writing an XML exchange... but given the XML tooling
available in Java then I wouldn't imagine it would be a huge task.
The larger task I would like to undertake is to make it possible to
just drop in jars containing new Exchange / Queue types in a pluggable
manner.

Speaking of AMQP 1.0, we're currently working on standardising
Management over AMQP 1.0.  I'd expect the first draft of this to come
out in the next month or so... covering the mechanisms but not
attempting to define any "schema" for manageable objects.  This is
probably where I'll be looking to expend any time I have relative to
management work (especially when coupled with AMQP 1.0 over WebSockets
and a pure JavaScript AMQP 1.0 implementation).

Cheers,
Rob