qpid-users mailing list archives

From Fraser Adams <fraser.ad...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: Website update
Date Fri, 29 Mar 2013 16:27:28 GMT

> It feels too small even on my small devices, and I think is making
> assumptions that people use 2 windows (or more specifically, 2 windows with
> our site in both) side by side

Hi Justin, first let me say that I'm currently without decent IT access, so I've not had a
chance to take a proper look and this isn't intended in any way to be critical, from what
I've read the update sounds great and I'm looking forward to it.

Following on from Robbie's comment though I'm a little troubled by the comments about the
site and screen sizes. I guess that in my mind it would make sense to target the basic presentation
for the middle ground, so for example a slightly nasty css2 browser (naming no names :-))
and a mid size desktop display. With that as a starting point it should be possible to target
larger and smaller devices using css3 media queries.

My logic is that modern browsers support media queries but older ones do not, but older ones
are more likely to be running on mid sized kit.

This may be a comment for the future, but I think it'd be good to aim for a site that gives
a consistent feel across multiple devices, we're now living in a converged world so users
expect to be able to look at a site on a desktop one minute, a tablet another and a smartphone
the next.

Clearly a mixed media site takes some care to get right and is arguably a bit of a faff, but
I guess that one advantage of targeting multiple displays is that it's a pretty good way of
focussing the mind on the content "priority" as one tends to put the most useful information
first, with subsequent navigation off for mobile sites.

I'm far from an expert on ergonomics so this is really just suggested as food for thought
for the future, but I do think that the site will be increasingly hit by mobile traffic as
that is becoming the dominant way to access the Web.

Best regards,
Fraser