qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: How to create a fanout exchange with the Java broker
Date Wed, 27 Mar 2013 13:42:15 GMT
On 03/27/2013 01:45 AM, Jeremy Wagner wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Sorry about the other e-mail (which created a different thread) and it was missing Alex's
email. So I am now replying to all for this one. Hopefully, this will come under the original
e-mail thread.

> I also figured it out as I discovered I had to specify the type to be a topic. This is
what I did previously:

> ./spout test.fanout
>
> This is where I got the NPE. After some trial and error plus Alex's tip from below, I
was able to get it working with this command:

> ./spout "test.fanout; {node:{type:topic}}"
>
> Alex already raised a JIRA (QPID-4671) for the NPE (see his email below). Thanks for
everybody's help with this one!

To explain that a little more for the curious, if given just a name the
messaging client spout uses will try to determine what the name refers
to, i.e. whether it is an exchange or a queue. This is required for AMQP
0-10 as the manner in which messages are sent to the named 'node',
depends on which of these types it is. (This is not needed for 1.0)

If you explicitly tell it the type, it doesn't need to query that fact.
Since its the query that is causing the NPE on the broker, the explicit
type declaration avoids the problem.