qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject What is Qpid? (was Re: Java broker queue questions....)
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2013 19:11:50 GMT
On 03/12/2013 07:37 PM, Rafael Schloming wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Rob Godfrey <rob.j.godfrey@gmail.com>wrote:
>> Frankly I think the retrospective re-naming causes as many issues as
>> it solves.  I actually think the key for us is just to document what
>> we have and where we are going and to make sure we publicise the
>> latter.
[...]
>   I think "documenting what we have and where we are going" is too large,
> amorphous, and difficult as a task to "just do." There have been several
> attempts at this already and they don't seem to result in strong consensus.

I think the web site reworking that Justin started some time back was a
good start at the first part of that:
http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-02-11/

I think it needs some more work and a lot more feedback, but I certainly
felt it was promising as a way of clarifying what Qpid is and what the
current components are, particularly
http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-02-11/components/index.html

I'd suggest we try to collectively help Justin drive that forward a bit
more by taking some time to provide feedback.

Here's some more from me:

I feel that APIs are not quite the same thing as components, though I
think it is very important to list the different APIs and explain them.
A component may implement one or more API. (And an API will be
implemented by one or more components).

I do like the 'Messaging built on AMQP' phrase. That seems quite a
succinct way of communicating the fundamental focus of the project.

I feel there is a neater way of saying 'Qpid makes messaging tools that
speak AMQP' however. Perhaps I would move the paragraph on AMQP up
before the one on Qpid and then say e.g. Qpid provides AMQP enabled
components for that ecosystem. Or something... I'm not completely happy
with that either.

I'll try and provide some more feedback on other aspects and encourage
others to do likewise.