qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject [c++]: Progressing AMQP 1.0 support for 0.22 release
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2013 13:53:56 GMT
I hope to make some further progress with AMQP 1.0 support for the next
release. Some of the gaps remaining are:

* inter-broker links

This allows qpidd to be hooked into wider 1.0 based networks which
expands the options for building or evolving systems.

* lifetime policy for nodes created on link establishment

I.e. the 1.0 equivalents for auto-delete. This is important for the many
applications that use temporary reply queues etc. I think the 1.0
defined behaviour will also be more intuitive and useful and may involve
some suggestions around improvements to the addressing options.

* automatic failover and message replay for qpid::messaging

One question here is likely to be around the division of work between
proton's protocol engine and the qpid::messaging implementation. (E.g.
The former already holds a buffer of outgoing messages, can this be used
or will the client need to duplicate that work).

* support for the assert option

I.e. the ability to specify the node properties and/or capabilities that
are assumed and to raise an error if these are not in fact met.

* transaction support in both qpid::messaging and qpidd

There is not a great deal of time left in the 0.22 release cycle and I'm
certainly not going to get all of these done in time for that. My
current plan is to work through them in the order I've listed them here.
I also want to focus on getting a set of 1.0 based tests for various
aspects of qpidd functionality that can be used to test & explore
interoperability with any other broker.

I'd be delighted to hear from anyone with thoughts on any or all aspects
of this (or indeed on points relating to 1.0 support that I have not
considered). If you have a different view of what the priorities should
be, lets debate it further. I'd be especially eager to hear from anyone
planning to use 1.0 (or anyone using the 'assert' option in addresses,
is it useful in practice?).