qpid-users mailing list archives

From Fraser Adams <fraser.ad...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Qpid GUI config - response for SergeyZhemzhitsky
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2013 16:17:08 GMT
Hi Sergey,
Since we last spoke I had a think about this and a bit of a play and
I've come up with what I reckon is quite an elegant and simple approach
to this, which also "embraces the power of the client side" which
follows the spirit of this GUI :-)

To explain a bit. As I mentioned in my original response the QpidRestAPI
server is intended to be a fairly "thin" layer. Conceptually what I was
trying to achieve was the concept that the *browser* behaves as a proper
QMF Console. What this means is that if you imagine say a python client
like qpid-config creating a Qpid Connection then a Console object and
using that to get QMF Objects that's exactly what I'm getting the
browser to do.

In practice it's not "quite" as simple as that given network
restrictions in the browser, so what actually happens is that when I
create a Qpid Connection in the browser "under the hood" it does a
RESTful PUT to PUT a Qpid Connection resource onto the REST Server (in
other words when a Connection is created in JavaScript that results in a
proxy connection getting created on the QpidRestAPI) once in place that
resource is controlled via RESTful GET/POST and eventually DELETE
methods invoked via jQuery AJAX calls.

That happens independently for any browser connecting, so although the
Connection objects have resource "names" on QpidRestAPI they are best
thought of as "handles" and entirely different to the Connection names
on the GUI, which are intended to be memorable/friendly names for
connections and entirely up to the user. The JavaScript Connection class
actually creates a UUID for the "handle" transparent to the user.

So that's just explaining how the architecture works, but in terms of
simple config - well as it happens in the JavaScript qmfui.Console class
there was a variable called consoleConnections which was used to hold
the array of consoleConnections added in the GUI and this was
initialised to hold the default.

Just to mess around I made this a public property of qmfui.Console e.g.

     this.consoleConnections = [{name: "default", url: "",
connectionOptions: ""}];

instead of

     var consoleConnections = [{name: "default", url: "",
connectionOptions: ""}];

So why that's significant is it can be used to provide trivially simple
configuration as ultimately it's just a JSON array, so I added the
following line to qmf.html in the ui subdirectory (this has to be after
the line <script src="/qmf-ui/scripts/qmf-ui.js"></script> in the head
block)

     <script src="/ui/config.js"></script>

and added the file config.js to the ui subdirectory too (same directory
as the html). In this file I put:

qmfui.Console.consoleConnections = [
     {name: "default", url: "", connectionOptions: ""},
     {name: "localhost", url: "localhost:5672", connectionOptions: ""},
     {name: "wildcard", url: "0.0.0.0:5672", connectionOptions: ""}
];

As you can see it's a fairly straightforward JSON array containing JSON
objects describing the connections you'd like to start out with.

If you don't want anything other than the default just leave config.js
empty.

This is really serving config to the client side, but that's where all
the state is held so it makes a lot more sense than properties on the
server.

The reason I've put the config.js in the ui subdirectory is because that
one is "protected" by the authentication. At the moment I've only got
support for BasicAuthentication so user/passwd are sent clear and be
aware so to would config.js. If you have sensitive usernames/passwords
that's something to be aware of if you want to use this config at the
moment.

For the case of the default URL "" that doesn't get passed to the
browser so you could configure a broker with a user/pass using
./QpidRestAPI -a ...... and that info wouldn't be passed to the browser
because the browser only needs to supply a url of "" to create a
connection using the default connection URL.

It might not be an issue if you're on a private network, but do bear it
in mind. Providing a bit more security is on my "todo" list but it
wasn't top of my priorities initially.

I'll incorporate this stuff into my next release, but as you asked about
this feature I thought that you might be interested - if you're feeling
adventurous you could could tweak your own copy of qmf-ui.js - if you
search for "consoleConnections" in there it's really just a case of
changing "var " to "this." in front of it then adding the tweak to
qmf.html and adding the config.js I describe above.

Let me know how you get on...

Best Regards,
Frase

On 29/01/13 08:56, Zhemzhitsky Sergey wrote:
> Hi Fraser,
>
> Amazing GUI! Thanks a lot!
>
> I'm wondering whether there is a possibility to specify all the brokers to connect to
in a properties file, i.e.

> config.properties
>
> broker.default=guest/guest@host1:5672
> broker.name2=guest/guest@host2:5672
> broker.name3=guest/guest@host3:5672
>
> broker.default.hide.qmf.objects=true
> broker.name2.hide.qmf.objects=false
> broker.name3.hide.qmf.objects=true
>
> So all this brokers will be displayed just after restarting of the GUI under the names
specified in the properties file.