qpid-users mailing list archives

From Zhemzhitsky Sergey <Sergey_Zhemzhit...@sberbank-cib.ru>
Subject RE: Qpid GUI config - response for SergeyZhemzhitsky
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:17:44 GMT
Hi Frase,

I have no chance to test the GUI with mobile browser yet, but screenshots you attached are
really cool.
I suppose it's the best web-based qpid management tool by the time!

Best Regards,
Sergey Zhemzhitsky
Phone. +7 495 2580500 ext. 1246

-----Original Message-----
From: Fraser Adams [mailto:fraser.adams@blueyonder.co.uk]
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2013 11:07 PM
To: users@qpid.apache.org
Subject: Re: Qpid GUI config - response for SergeyZhemzhitsky

Hey wow Sergey,
I'm so pleased that you gave it a whirl :-) I guess that the instructions were clear enough
after all, cool!

Hopefully the code is fairly OK to follow. It looks a bit daunting at first, but it's actually
fairly well structured (well I think so :-)) - basically there's a Singleton class for each
core page and they are mostly pretty self contained. Any data passed between "pages" gets
attached to the query part of the url and the core navigation is done via url fragments/hash
which map nicely to DIV ids.

I've tried to put in a decent amount of comments in a JavaDoc style, of course you can never
have too many comments, but hopefully what's there is useful. I'm toying with the idea of
adding a JavaScript minimiser on the server to minimise "on the fly" so it's not so verbose
when sent over the wire, but that's a "nice to have" for now.

I actually quite like that approach to implementing the config, it was one of those "lightbulb"
moments to do something pretty useful trivially easily.

One thing to be aware of is that clicking between the different connections isn't as reliable
as it ought to be in v1.1 :-( It was a feature I added a bit late in the day and to be honest
I also rushed in the feature to disable QMF Events (and use timed polling instead).

Having added the config.js I had a lot more connections to play with and noticed that sometimes
a connection would flag up Broker Disconnected and not reconnect. I also noticed that if I
randomly clicked between them quickly I may get extra connections staying active and occasionally
they haven't expired.

I spent the weekend going through the JavaScript and REST object lifecycle and adding a lot
more defensive code. I think that I've sorted that stuff out now so hopefully the next release
should be a little less flaky. To be fair I've always been able to connect, but sometimes
I've had to click back and forth between connections, which is a bit rubbish.
Anyway hopefully that's another bug shot.

Thanks again for playing with the GUI and for trying out the config.js I hope that you are
liking it. Niggles aside I'm mostly pretty pleased with it. I really hope that it can be used
to "show off" Qpid to "management types". Have you been able to try it with a mobile browser
yet? It looks pretty nice on an iPhone :-)

Cheers,
Frase

On 04/02/13 12:53, Zhemzhitsky Sergey wrote:
> Hello Frase,
>
> config.js with consoleConnections works like a charm.
>
> Now it's possible to monitor multiple brokers without explicitly defining qmf connections
to them by means of GUI.

> Great job! Thanks a lot!
>
> Best Regards,
> Sergey

to be a fairly "thin" layer. Conceptually what I was trying to achieve was the concept that
the *browser* behaves as a proper QMF Console. What this means is that if you imagine say
a python client like qpid-config creating a Qpid Connection then a Console object and using
that to get QMF Objects that's exactly what I'm getting the browser to do.

> In practice it's not "quite" as simple as that given network restrictions in the browser,
so what actually happens is that when I create a Qpid Connection in the browser "under the
hood" it does a RESTful PUT to PUT a Qpid Connection resource onto the REST Server (in other
words when a Connection is created in JavaScript that results in a proxy connection getting
created on the QpidRestAPI) once in place that resource is controlled via RESTful GET/POST
and eventually DELETE methods invoked via jQuery AJAX calls.

> That happens independently for any browser connecting, so although the Connection objects
have resource "names" on QpidRestAPI they are best thought of as "handles" and entirely different
to the Connection names on the GUI, which are intended to be memorable/friendly names for
connections and entirely up to the user. The JavaScript Connection class actually creates
a UUID for the "handle" transparent to the user.

> So that's just explaining how the architecture works, but in terms of simple config -
well as it happens in the JavaScript qmfui.Console class there was a variable called consoleConnections
which was used to hold the array of consoleConnections added in the GUI and this was initialised
to hold the default.

> [...]
> after the line <script src="/qmf-ui/scripts/qmf-ui.js"></script> in
> the head
> block)
>
>       <script src="/ui/config.js"></script>
>
> and added the file config.js to the ui subdirectory too (same
> directory as the html). In this file I put:
>

> qmfui.Console.consoleConnections = [
>       {name: "default", url: "", connectionOptions: ""},
>       {name: "localhost", url: "localhost:5672", connectionOptions: ""},
>       {name: "wildcard", url: "0.0.0.0:5672", connectionOptions: ""}
> ];
>

> As you can see it's a fairly straightforward JSON array containing
> JSON objects describing the connections you'd like to start out with.
>
> If you don't want anything other than the default just leave config.js
> empty.
>
> This is really serving config to the client side, but that's where all
> the state is held so it makes a lot more sense than properties on the
> server.
>

> The reason I've put the config.js in the ui subdirectory is because
> that one is "protected" by the authentication. At the moment I've only
> got support for BasicAuthentication so user/passwd are sent clear and
> be aware so to would config.js. If you have sensitive
> usernames/passwords that's something to be aware of if you want to use
> this config at the moment.
>
> For the case of the default URL "" that doesn't get passed to the
> browser so you could configure a broker with a user/pass using
> ./QpidRestAPI -a ...... and that info wouldn't be passed to the
> browser because the browser only needs to supply a url of "" to create
> a connection using the default connection URL.
>
> It might not be an issue if you're on a private network, but do bear
> it in mind. Providing a bit more security is on my "todo" list but it
> wasn't top of my priorities initially.
>

> I'll incorporate this stuff into my next release, but as you asked
> about this feature I thought that you might be interested - if you're
> feeling adventurous you could could tweak your own copy of qmf-ui.js -
> if you search for "consoleConnections" in there it's really just a
> case of changing "var " to "this." in front of it then adding the
> tweak to qmf.html and adding the config.js I describe above.
>
> Let me know how you get on...
>
> Best Regards,
> Frase
>

> On 29/01/13 08:56, Zhemzhitsky Sergey wrote:
>> Hi Fraser,
>>
>> Amazing GUI! Thanks a lot!
>>
>> I'm wondering whether there is a possibility to specify all the brokers to connect
to in a properties file, i.e.

>> config.properties
>>
>> broker.default=guest/guest@host1:5672
>> broker.name2=guest/guest@host2:5672
>> broker.name3=guest/guest@host3:5672
>>
>> broker.default.hide.qmf.objects=true
>> broker.name2.hide.qmf.objects=false
>> broker.name3.hide.qmf.objects=true
>>
>> So all this brokers will be displayed just after restarting of the GUI under the
names specified in the properties file.