qpid-users mailing list archives

From Rob Godfrey <rob.j.godf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Qpid 0.20 released
Date Sat, 26 Jan 2013 15:33:47 GMT
On 26 January 2013 14:07, Fraser Adams <fraser.adams@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
> That looks exactly like it. Blimey how did you find the Jira so fast?? It's
> a serious question, I'm not too familiar with Jira in general (I've raised a
> few but that's about it). Is there a tutorial/FAQ/idiot's guide for finding
> things in Qpid Jira.

To be honest I searched in my Gmail folder for Qpid JIRAs for "java"
and "daemon" :-) ... I remembered the gist of the JIRA details because
I was involved in some discussions about it at the time.

Searching JIRA itself is normally a bit of a pain... though in this
case if you use the query functionality looking for JIRAs affecting
Qpid, component Java Client, fix version after 0.12 and containing the
word daemon, then you do get it:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20QPID%20AND%20fixVersion%20in%20%28%220.20%22%2C%20%220.19%22%2C%20%220.18%22%2C%20%220.17%22%2C%20%220.16%22%2C%20%220.15%22%2C%20%220.14%22%2C%20%220.13%22%29%20AND%20component%20%3D%20%22Java%20Client%22%20AND%20text%20~%20%22daemon%22

> The Jira comment "Investigating other providers suggests the typical
> behaviour is to make use of non-daemon threads by default" would fit with my
> observation of JBoss, and it looks like Alex observed the same with Tibco.
>
> Looking at the latest version of Programming in Apache Qpid I noticed:
>
> qpid.jms.daemon.dispatcher      boolean         false
>
> Controls whether the Session dispatcher thread is a daemon thread or not. If
> this system property is set to true then the Session dispatcher threads will
> be created as daemon threads. This setting is introduced in version 0.16.
>

> Which suggests this behaviour was introduced in 0.16
>

> FWIW I think that this is a good thing, and it's even better that it's
> configurable. I guess it's one of those changes that one doesn't notice
> until it's noticed :-)
>
> I'm liking the latest version of Programming in Apache Qpid, it looks like
> it has a lot more comprehensive documentation of the options in general.

Yeah - Keith, Robbie, Phil, Alex et. al have been doing good things to
the documentation... Still some way to go, but we are working on it.

> Thanks again for responding so fast Rob,

The issue you are having with List Messages didn't immediately ring
any bells for me... I'll have a quick look around to see if I can spot
anything.

Cheers,
Rob