qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: mailing lists and fragmented communication
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:26:16 GMT
On 01/21/2013 01:14 PM, Gordon Sim wrote:
> On 01/21/2013 11:43 AM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
>> I think users@ and dev@ should be left as is, and that we potentially
>> just
>> adjust how we use them slightly.
>
> That is fine with me. I'm really just hoping to nudge more of the
> conversation emails onto the user list for wider visibility as I think
> that will be generally beneficial (while not being a panacea for any
> specific issue or indeed for the need for better communication in general).

 From the website:

    The user's list is for discussions that relate to use or questions
    on Qpid. If you have questions about how a feature works,
    suggestions on additional requirements, or general questions about
    Qpid please use this list.

and:

    The developer's list is for discussions that relate to the on going
    development of Qpid. If you have questions about how a feature is
    being developed, suggestions on how to implement a new feature, or
    requests for a new feature this is the list to use.

So, I guess being more specific, I'm saying that I think suggestions on
how to implement a new feature or questions (and discussions) on new
features being developed would actually be better directed to the user list.

I certainly don't want to spam user with unwanted emails, but the volume
historically has not been that high and I suspect that doing so will
give users a greater sense of awareness of what's coming down the line
(yes, we should be better at communicating that through more formal
roadmaps etc, but this would at least alleviate our current failings)
and would result in wider input into design questions.