qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <gordon.r....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: mailing lists and fragmented communication
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:14:48 GMT
On 01/21/2013 11:43 AM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> I don't think that list being separate is the main source of most of the
> confusion with proton.

I agree and was not suggesting that it was. I do however think that had
past conversations on both the proton and dev lists been more visible
then the community as a whole would have a better view of what was
happening and any questions would get asked earlier forcing them to be
dealt with earlier.

What prompted this thread was the observation that communication was
more fragmented than in my view it needed to be, not that this was the
cause or solution to any specific point or issue. That is actually
something I have felt for a while and not at all specifically with
regard to proton. Recent email threads somehow just pushed me from
thinking about it to voicing my thoughts out loud.

> People have asked roughly the same basic questions
> about proton on users@ and proton@ at roughly the same time, which did
> indeed mean certain discussion with answers might have only gone to one of
> the lists at a time, but the key point for me was that they had to ask
> those basic questions on either list in the first place.
>
> We are talking about improving communication, and for me the main problem
> is often that information isn't being written down or sent to any of the
> lists until someone asks a question requiring it. That question typically
> gets met with a [large] email explaining the answer, but much of the time
> it should be possible for the response to just be a link to somewhere the
> answer is already written down in general, e.g the website, with perhaps
> some context-specific additions. Some website update stats would probably
> entertaining right about now for example.

I think the website is indeed a problem area for the project. It does
tend to get stale and has never been particularly comprehensive. I think
the addition of proton (and indeed the move to AMQP 1.0) is a
significant enough change that the overall structure needs some thought.

[...]
> I think users@ and dev@ should be left as is, and that we potentially just
> adjust how we use them slightly.

That is fine with me. I'm really just hoping to nudge more of the
conversation emails onto the user list for wider visibility as I think
that will be generally beneficial (while not being a panacea for any
specific issue or indeed for the need for better communication in general).