qpid-users mailing list archives

From Fraser Adams <fraser.ad...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject QMF queueMoveMessages method returns "InvalidParameter" exception incorrectly IMHO.
Date Sat, 19 Jan 2013 17:20:58 GMT
QMF queueMoveMessages method returns "InvalidParameter" exception when
there are simply no messages available to move from the source queue -
this is confusing.

Other queue management commands (such as purge and reroute on the queue
object) don't object when there are no messages to move but
queueMoveMessages barfs with InvalidParameter.

This is inconsistent and it's pretty unhelpful, I spent about an hour
checking over my code and looking through the broker code thinking I'd
messed up the arguments. When I finally got round to actually adding
some messages "just to see" it actually worked. Perhaps I should have
tried that sooner, but as I say purge and reroute don't behave this way
so it was fairly reasonable to assume I'd done something wrong...

I personally think that queueMoveMessages should behave the same as
purge and reroute and attempt to move whatever. It should only send back
InvalidParameter if one of the parameters is actually invalid. It could
be argued that trying to move zero messages is invalid, but a qty value
of 0 means "all messages" and all of zero is zero.

I've raised a Jira

Regards,
Frase