qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject mailing lists and fragmented communication
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2013 17:21:21 GMT
I believe that we have too many mailing lists and that we are missing
out on valuable collaboration and transparency as a result.

Too often in the past topics have been discussed on the dev list without
reflecting any of the discussion back to the user list, keeping a large
part of the community in the dark. Now that we have a distinct list for
proton there is the possibility of yet more fragmentation.

I honestly believe that we would be better off with just one list for
discussions. I think there will increasingly be issues that cross-cut
different components or that would benefit from wider participation. Not
all topics will be of interest to all subscribers, but that is always
going to be the case.

It doesn't seem to me like any of the lists are so high in volume that
this would cause significant problems. More rigorous use of subject
could help people filter if needed. (JIRA and commit notices I think do
warrant their own lists allowing a lot of the 'noise' to be avoided if
so desired).

Any other thoughts on this? Does anyone have fears of being deluged with
unwanted emails?