qpid-users mailing list archives

From Fraser Adams <fraser.ad...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: Proton Messenger and the Request/Response pattern
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2013 10:07:55 GMT
Hi Mary,
Thanks for the response, unfortunately I must be a bit thick though,
cause I'm still not totally clear.

I did take a look at the proton web site a little while back, looking at
the link you attached it looks pretty much the same as the last time I
looked a month or so back. But as I say the relationship between qpid
and proton is far from clear (to me at least....)

I've just loaded up the main qpid website http://qpid.apache.org/ and
there's no obvious linkage between that and proton so that's not too
helpful. Also not helping with my confusion is that there has been quite
a bit of traffic on the main qpid mailing list relating to work that
Gordon Sim has been doing on qpid 0.2 there seem to be quite a few new
features in this including replacing the flow-to-disk paging with
something better, but Gordon has also been talking about adding AMQP v
1.0 functionality to qpid 0.2.

So is the AMQP stuff that Gordon is talking about just about combining
in the proton library? Will the web pages for the qpid 0.2 release make
all this clear.

I have to say that the proton work hasn't been especially well
publicised, I only stumbled across it by accident a month or so back by
noticing a reference to it in the mailing list so did some digging and
eventually found the web page - and I look at the qpid mailing list
pretty much daily.

 From your description below and from the web page it looks like proton
is primarily a library so you'd use it in combination with something
like qpid, but is the idea that it could also be used "brokerless" so
I'm thinking something analogous to say zeromq where say one might want
an extremely lightweight messaging IPC mechanism between processes on
the same host for example without the overhead of a full message broker
process????

I noticed the proton API documentation - it looks very python centric at
the moment, your maul below also suggests C++ but what's the state of
Java support at the moment - looks like there's a proton-j download, how
does that relate to JMS and the qpid Java client libraries??

The API stuff also makes me a bit nervous - relating on to the original
thread spawning this question. The is already *way too much* confusion
at the moment relating to qpid::messaging versus qpid::client, more or
less once a week someone posts to the main qpid mailing list about that
so I think it's really important that the relationship between qpid and
proton is spelled out clearly in a very prominent place!! It sounds like
for the most part that the proton APIs are lower level APIs so that for
example a client would use qpid::messaging (or JMS) and that would
delegate in the client runtime to the proton APIs, is that correct? So
is the only time someone would actually use the proton API directly if
one was running something embedded such as the lightweight messaging IPC
analogy I mentioned above.

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick about this, but as I say I really haven't
seen an awful lot of publicity around proton and how it relates to qpid
so I think it'd be really good to get the documentation around the
relationships properly sorted to avoid a whole world of confusion.

Regards,
Frase

On 03/01/13 20:00, Mary Hinton wrote:
> I can't answer your other questions, but did anyone answer your question on "What exactly
is proton?
> Have you gone to the proton web site:
> http://qpid.apache.org/proton/
>
> Qpid was built around the older versions of the AMQP protocol.
> Now that Proton is released, QPID can load the proton library and be AMQP 1.0 compliant.
> In the C++ code there are new AMQP projects, one for the server and one for the client.
>
> After you compile and build all the required libraries (including proton) and executables,
you can use the qpidd executable with the following argument
> 	qpidd --load-module amqpd
>
> For the client you need to set up the environment variable QPID_LOAD_MODULE and set it
to the new amqp client project name,