qpid-users mailing list archives

From Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Proton Messenger and the Request/Response pattern
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2013 21:58:46 GMT

On 01/02/2013 02:39 PM, William Henry wrote:

> [...]

I really like this suggestion.  The blocking variant is dirt simple and
you don't even need to supply a correlation_id.  It can be hidden
beneath the API.

I do think there may be a cleaner syntax/naming for this though.

An alternate syntax for the client side might be to provide an
alternative to "put" like "put_request" that annotates the message
appropriately for request/response and returns the correlation_id.
"send_request" could be the blocking variant.

>> (I added the correlation_id argument because it's almost always going
>> be needed).  Further, the server could use
>>
>>       reply_msg.in_reply_to(request_msg)
>>
>> which would take care of the addresses and the correlation_id.  It
>> also
>> provides a place to report an error if a request cannot be replied to
>> (absent or invalid reply_to address) rather than force each server
>> implementer to code this check.
> Yeah, that's nice too. I see your point. I'm not sure if all messaging purists will agree.
But it makes sense to me that we need something to handle this common use case more effectively.