qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: How does the prefetch/receiver capacity really work?
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 08:18:37 GMT
On 09/19/2012 09:06 AM, Zhemzhitsky Sergey wrote:
> Consider, there is a broker with a queue that contains 10 messages and receiver with
receiver capacity set to 5.

> As I understand the broker will push 5 messages to the receiver to fill in its internal
queue and internal queue of receiver will contain 5 messages and broker will contain 5 unpushed
messages too.
> Then I will call Receiver::fetch(Message&,bool) without acknowledging the message.
> Does it mean that receiver’s internal queue now has a free slot, so the broker can
 push another message to it, so that the receiver can be considered to receive 6 messages
in total and broker can be considered to have 4 unpushed messages?

The broker doesn't know about the free slot until the client library
tells it. In AMQP 0-10, the c++ client does this via a
session-completed, that includes the fetched message and thus moves the
prefetch window. However to avoid excessive back and forth traffic, the
c++ client will only send completions when the application has used up
half the prefetch.

So in your example, the client would only move the prefetch window on
the broker after the application fetched 3 messages. (At that point the
broker could send a further 3 messages).

Its quite possible this could be fine tuned a little more, or made
configurable (right now its hardcoded) if there are cases where a
slightly different approach would be preferred.