qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Exchanges and Message priorities
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2012 09:32:43 GMT
On 09/14/2012 11:42 AM, PY Caradee wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to implement the following,
> - Messages arrive at the Message broker with message priorities
> - They find their ways into various queues based on their message priority
>
> So Q1 has messages with priority 1
> Q2 has messages with priority 2 and so on ..
>
> * Is there a way to make the Message Broker process Q1 faster than the others.
> * Would it be possible to have a priority between queues ?
> * Q1 has higher priority to be processed than Q2 or better still
> processing of Q1 blocks other queues from being processed ?
> * Can an exchange itself be a priority queue that in turn feeds the
> other Queues ?
> * I saw that it is possible to extend the default exchanges via
> plugins, is there anything out there that already implements this
> above requirement that I have ?
>
> Is this something feasible ? Or is this against the basic philosophy
> of a message broker ?

I don't think its against the basic philosophy of a message broker in
general.

However for the c++ broker it would be hard to implement properly at
present. The queue is not an active component - it is the publishing and
consuming connections that are processed, therefore it would be those
connections (and the particular sessions and subscriptions on them) that
would be prioritised for processing over the others. This really goes
against the grain of the current broker threading and connection
handling design.