qpid-users mailing list archives

From Rob Godfrey <rob.j.godf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: java no-auth
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2012 14:15:36 GMT
Just trying to get a sense of what exactly you are looking for with
respect to sequencing... to see if there is something that can be
implemented that meets your needs.  Like I say, I looked at this
briefly before but couldn't really understand a use case where this
feature would be useful.

Are you looking for the broker to identify a total ordering over all
messages going through an exchange? Do you need an incrementing
integer?

Because of the way that the Java Broker works, it would be very hard
to have something internally that would guarantee that messages from
different producers that go to the same exchange would always enter a
queue in the same sequence that they arrived at the exchange itself
(let alone defining the semantics here when transactions are
involved).  Defining an ordering on the messages within a single queue
makes some sense... but this then is a slightly different thing as a
message can be routed to multiple queues.

What does the sequence generated on the exchange give you that you
don't get by having the producers each having their own sequence?
(using a combination of "producer id", "producer sequence" and
"timestamp" I would think that you could create a synthetic id at the
producer that would give you pretty much the same guarantees as could
be given at the broker).

Cheers,
Rob

On 22 August 2012 15:54,  <Laurent.Decorps@sungard.com> wrote:
> Rob,
>
> The application I work on has an adhoc message server which is used to broadcast the
changes done by any business process that might be running.
> We are currently investigating qpid as a replacement for our messaging infrastructure.
Qpid covers nicely the JMS side of things, both with the java and the Cpp version.
> Now, for our internal message bus, the java version, for the reason that you know, does
not seem to cut it.

> In essence, each of our processes register with the broker, so that when one process
modifies a piece of data, it publishes it to the message broker, which then broadcast the
change to all the listening processors, therefore maintaining all the processors in synch.

> Does that help ?
>
> Kind Regards

at implementing this in the Java broker at one point, however because of the way that the
Java Broker works there's no easy way to guarantee that the order at which messages arrive
at an exchange correspond with the order in which they are enqueued in a queue (except where
the messages are produced by the same connection).
>  Moreover modifying the message header is a bit messy.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
>
> On 22 August 2012 13:28,  <Laurent.Decorps@sungard.com> wrote:
>> Ok, it seems there is no pd-auth-manager node at all.
>>
>> Now, it also seems that the java broker, even in its version 0.18, does not support
the sequence attribute for an exchange / topic. At least, it is not reported by the JMX console.

>> So I think that's the end of the game :|
>>
>> Kind Regards

of 0.18 (which is currently being voted on for release, candidate artifacts available at:
http://people.apache.org/~jross/qpid-0.18/ ).
>> Support for Anonymous can be configured in etc/config.xml by replacing the <pd-auth-manager>
... </pd-auth-manager> segment with <anonymous-auth-manager/>. It is possible
to have multiple auth managers with per-port mappings but it doesn't sound like you need that
functionality.

>> The QMF based python command line tools for the C++ broker have never
>> been particularly well supported by the Java broker, we have some
>> unfinished
>> QMFv1 support in there but the substantially different QMFv2 came
>> along shortly after it was added and it sounds like the tools have
>> finally moved to QMFv2 and broken what functionality did work. We plan
>> to extract the
>> QMFv1 support from the Java broker soon, until we can work on QMFv2 suport at a later
date. In the meantime the Java broker has a long standing JMX management interface you can
use with Jconsole/VisualVM/Qpid JMX Management Console/etc, as well as a new HTTP management
interface and web ui (replacing the JMX console going forward) initially available in 0.18
and being improved beyond that.