qpid-users mailing list archives

From Fraser Adams <fraser.ad...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: more memory "leak" woes.
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2012 13:29:24 GMT
On 03/08/12 13:56, Gordon Sim wrote:
> On 08/03/2012 01:55 PM, Gordon Sim wrote:
>> On 08/03/2012 01:35 PM, Fraser Adams wrote:
>>>      subscription = subscriptions.subscribe(*this, queue);
>>>
>>> subscription.setFlowControl(FlowControl::messageWindow(100)); // Why
>>> doesn't this work :-( ???
>>>      subscription.setAutoAck(10);
>>
>> When you say it didn't work, what exactly do you mean? That it behaved
>> like the messaqeCredit() call? or that it didn't restrict the window?
>>
>> Try setting the option on subscribe, rather than after it. E.g.
>>
>>    subscription = subscriptions.subscribe(*this, queue,
>> SubscriptionSettings(FlowControl::messageCredit(100)));
>
> Sorry! That should read messageWindow() of course!!

So yeah when I tried
subscription.setFlowControl(FlowControl::messageWindow(100));

It behaved as if I hadn't done anything and my memory consumption grew
out of control.

I've now tried

subscription = subscriptions.subscribe(*this, queue,
SubscriptionSettings(FlowControl::messageWindow(100)));
subscription.setAutoAck(10);

As you suggested here and both qpidd and client-consumer seem happier -
qpidd is on ~320M and client-consumer is on ~220M SHR according to top
and are both fairly stable.

Any idea why calling setFlowControl() on the subscription didn't work?
It seems confusing to have a method call that doesn't appear to work...

On my other questions - so now I've got flow control working can you
suggest how to configure a qpid::client consumer to use unreliable
messaging?

So if I can configure client-consumer with unlimited flow control and
unreliable messaging will that be a fair emulation of a broker bridge
with a slow consumer hanging off it. I might then be able to try it with
my 0.12 broker then a 0.8 broker and see if they behave differently - if
they do then that just *might* be our smoking gun - what do you think
(unless you already know the answer).

Cheers,
Frase