qpid-users mailing list archives

From Toralf Lund <toralf.l...@pgs.com>
Subject Re: acknowledge(), reject(), release().. in qpid::messaging::Session
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2012 14:15:00 GMT
On 17/07/12 15:01, Gordon Sim wrote:
> On 07/17/2012 11:50 AM, Toralf Lund wrote:
>> Some more questions loose related to my post on response queues:
>>
>> 1. What's the purpose of qpid::messaging::session::release()? Yeah, it
>>     releases the message, but what precisely does that mean? And how
>>     does it affect the state of the receiver?
>
> It means the message is requeued and becomes available for delivery to
> any subscriber again. This may include the same subscriber that just
> released it.
OK. That could actually be useful in some situations.

>> 2. What would be the point of rejecting a message via
>>     qpid::messaging::session::reject()? I mean, once again, I understand
>>     the concept on a somewhat superficial level, but it's not really
>>     clear to me what difference it makes whether I  reject a message, or
>>     just acknowledge it and then just forget about it.
>
> If you have an alternate-exchange defined for the queue then a reject
> will cause the message to be re-routed through that (e.g. to a dead
> letter queue). If not it just gets dropped and is for practical
> purposes no different at present from acknowledging it and dropping it
> at the client.
I see.

Thanks,

- Toralf

This e-mail, including any attachments and response string, may contain proprietary information
which is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please
notify the author by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachment immediately.
If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, forward, copy,
print or rely on this e-mail in any way except as permitted by the author.