qpid-users mailing list archives

From Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: monitoring and alarms/alerts
Date Wed, 16 May 2012 21:22:48 GMT
As Rob mentioned, people tend to use the JMX interface and/or log
scraping with the Java broker. There are ways to get most/all of the
information thats logged from the JMX interface as well (plus a lot
more) its just sometimes its a little convoluted to do so, eg message
age would involve inspecting the headers of a message whereas it is
just logged when the threshold is exceeded. Depending on what you want
to do, I would expect 3) and 1) to be the quickest and easiest. As Rob
mentioned, 2) will likely be hit or miss as the Java brokers QMF
implementation is incomplete and not well tested with the tooling used
for the C++ broker.

We currently have our own Eclipse RCP based JMX management console for
the Java broker, but are looking to retire it and bring in HTTP based
management with a web UI later in the year (in addition to the JMX
interface). You are however free to use any JMX tools of your choice
with the broker (JConsole, VisualVM, Nagios, etc etc) and as far as I
know Nagios already has some JMX plugins available for it so even if
you wanted to write a custom one you should have those as a basis
point.

Robbie