qpid-users mailing list archives

From Fraser Adams <fraser.ad...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject message duplicates on federated routes
Date Tue, 29 May 2012 22:17:53 GMT
Hi all,
we appear to be seeing some fairly large numbers of message duplicates,
we've had a few other issues that have caused us to be more observant of
what's passing through the system so we're not sure if this is recent of
we've simply not noticed before.

We've got quite a heavily federated system with producers delivering to
multiple brokers (generally three) providing increasing levels of
consolidation.

when we see dupes we've seen two three or four instances of an item but
no more and when they occur they appear to happen pretty much
immediately after each other a few tens of milliseconds apart.

The routes are "push" queue routes (using qpid-route -s) and delivering
to headers exchanges. There's nothing fancy about the route, so they are
using normal unreliable links as per the default on federated routes.

can anyone shed any light on this sort of behaviour? Any thoughts on
what might be causing it and how to minimise the issue.

BTW we've not proven that it is definitely any issue with qpid or the
routes so we're investigating message counts and sampling messages at
each hop, but we want to cover off all angles so any thoughts on
scenarios that may cause significant dupes would be really useful.

MTIA,
Frase