qpid-users mailing list archives

From "Fallon, Richard" <richard.fal...@atos.net>
Subject Qpid Federation and Failover Question
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 10:00:47 GMT

All,

I have been successfully using a federated network of Apache Qpid
brokers for some time now, we have had some problems along the way but
generally everything is working very well.

I have a requirement to introduce more resilience to parts of the
network.  The (simplified) solution is this

"OPERATIONAL BEHAVIOUR"
1. SOURCE -> DESTINATION A : source sends messages to destination A
2. IF DESTINATION A FAILS THEN
3. 	SOURCE -> DESTINATION B : source sends messages to destination B

We have a piece of hardware between the brokers so we refer to the
destination with a generic value (e.g. DESTINATION) and this returns the
correct hostname of the destination (i.e. A OR B).

The above scenario works very well if the source is an amqp publisher,
e.g. a JMS Client using AMQP syntax.

However if the source and destinations are qpid brokers and connected
via a queue route this does not work.

Let me try and explain my rather bizarre results...

1. SOURCE BROKER -> DESTINATION BROKER (hostname = A) - connected
successfully
2. STOP DESTINATION BROKER (hostname = A)
3. Load Balancer now returns  hostname=B for DESTINATION BROKER
4. SOURCE BROKER shows connection refused to DESTINATION BROKER

So maybe I can understand the above, the SOURCE has created a socket
connection to hostname A, and is not releasing it.

However if I stop and start the SOURCE broker, and re add the queue
route using SOURCE and DESTINATION I still get the connection refused
message, but hostname = B is running.  It is like the SOURCE broker is
still trying to connect to the DESTINATION (hostname = A), even after
restart.  That suggests to me that Qpid persists some connection
information throughout a restart.

Does this sound plausible?  If so where would the connection info be
stored?  FYI - I'm using version 0.8.

Thanks in advance

Richard

Atos and Atos Consulting are trading names used by the Atos group.  The following trading
entities are registered in England and Wales:  Atos IT Services UK Limited (registered number
01245534), Atos Consulting Limited (registered number 04312380) and Atos IT Solutions and
Services Limited  (registered number 01203466) The registered office for each is at 4 Triton
Square, Regents Place, London, NW1 3HG. The VAT No. for each is: GB232327983

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee,
and may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you receive this e-mail in error,
you are not authorised to copy, disclose, use or retain it.  Please notify the sender immediately
and delete this email from your systems.   As emails may be intercepted, amended or lost,
they are not secure.  Atos therefore can accept no liability for any errors or their content.
 Although Atos endeavours to maintain a virus-free network, we do not warrant that this transmission
is virus-free and can accept no liability for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.
The risks are deemed to be accepted by everyone who communicates with Atos by email.