qpid-users mailing list archives

From Rob Godfrey <rob.j.godf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Duplating Messages
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2012 08:57:22 GMT
On 27 April 2012 10:08, Fraser Adams <fraser.adams@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> I'm joining this thread a little late.
>
> Options using browsers with a separate queue to remove messages aught to
> work well.
>
> Another option would be to use QMF to remove messages the QMF queue
> management object has a purge method that can remove messages from a queue,
> though unfortunately I'm pretty sure that it'll only delete n x messages
> from the end of the queue so isn't really any more selective than simply
> consuming messages.
>
> This may be a dumb thought and I've not actually messed around with it to
> check if it works, but surely (unless I'm mistaken....) messages don't get
> removed from a queue until they are acknowledged.
>
> In fact I'm pretty certain of this as I was whining the other week that JMS
> client side Message Selectors didn't work properly because they selected OK
> but never acknowledged so the messages remained on the queue.
>

> Sooooo
>
> Rather than using queue browsers and all that faff couldn't you simply use
> JMS in client acknowledge mode rather than auto acknowledge??
> http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/5/api/

The issue with client acknowledge is that it acknowledges everything
prior to the current message - it's not a selective acknowledge of
just a single message... Why they didn't add such a capability to the
API I'll never know.  Also in this case you're still getting the
acquisition locks so only one client will be getting sent the
messages, so it doesn't work for the duplication aspect.

> Also wrt Android consumer, as has been said there are issues (JNDI). I'm
> currently working on a REST API - it's fun talking to qpid from my iPad :-)
> at the moment my current focus is on a RESTful export of the QMF2 API 'cause
> I'm writing a whizzy HTML5/AJAX broker management interface, but I'll be
> adding messaging stuff to that IDC. It's a little way off being at the sort
> of quality I'd want to share, but it feels a pragmatic approach for mobile
> devices at the moment.

We're adding something similar directly in to the Java Broker atm
(both a REST API and an AJAX web front end). We won't be looking to
base it on QMF directly, though it's possible that we'll add some sort
of QMF bridge later (which would also allow us to potentially manage
C++ brokers through the same interface).

-- Rob