qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Federation and Queue Route Failover
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 12:58:08 GMT
On 04/23/2012 01:56 PM, Fallon, Richard wrote:

> All,
>
> I have been successfully using a federated network of Apache Qpid
> brokers for some time now, we have had some problems along the way but
> generally everything is working very well.
>
> I have a requirement to introduce more resilience to parts of the
> network. The (simplified) solution is this
>
> "OPERATIONAL BEHAVIOUR"
> 1. SOURCE -> DESTINATION A : source sends messages to destination A
> 2. IF DESTINATION A FAILS THEN
> 3. SOURCE -> DESTINATION B : source sends messages to destination B
>
> We have a piece of hardware between the brokers so we refer to the
> destination with a generic value (e.g. DESTINATION) and this returns the
> correct hostname of the destination (i.e. A OR B).
>
> The above scenario works very well if the source is an amqp publisher,
> e.g. a JMS Client using AMQP syntax.
>
> However if the source and destinations are qpid brokers and connected
> via a queue route this does not work.
>
> Let me try and explain my rather bizarre results...
>
> 1. SOURCE BROKER -> DESTINATION BROKER (hostname = A) - connected
> successfully
> 2. STOP DESTINATION BROKER (hostname = A)
> 3. Load Balancer now returns hostname=B for DESTINATION BROKER
> 4. SOURCE BROKER shows connection refused to DESTINATION BROKER

Are you using the generic DESTINATION value for the route as well?

> So maybe I can understand the above, the SOURCE has created a socket
> connection to hostname A, and is not releasing it.
>
> However if I stop and start the SOURCE broker, and re add the queue
> route using SOURCE and DESTINATION I still get the connection refused
> message, but hostname = B is running. It is like the SOURCE broker is
> still trying to connect to the DESTINATION (hostname = A), even after
> restart. That suggests to me that Qpid persists some connection
> information throughout a restart.

Yes, links and bridges can be durable (though I believe they are not by
default). Their details are then stored in the database along with
details of durable queues, exchanges etc.

You can run qpid-route route list to see if that gives more information.
I'm not entirely sure what all has changed since 0.8.