qpid-users mailing list archives

From Fraser Adams <fraser.ad...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: Selective message acknowledgment in Java client (and C++ broker)?
Date Sat, 14 Apr 2012 13:41:43 GMT
Hi Pavel/Jakub/Rajith
I posted ages back (March 2011) that I didn't believe that JMS Message
Selectors were behaving correctly:
http://qpid.2158936.n2.nabble.com/JMS-Message-Selectors-Behaving-Strangely-td6158445.html

My observations concur with the observations of Pavel and Jakob namely
I'd expect any unselected messages to remain on the queue, but not the
messages that matched the selector.

For info guys one approach that just may be useful is that the
"internal" filter class is fairly easily accessibly so I had code that
looks like.

import org.apache.qpid.filter.JMSSelectorFilter;
import org.apache.qpid.client.message.AbstractJMSMessage;

private JMSSelectorFilter filter;
// Then roundabouts where you'd create a consumer using a message
selector do..
// Clearly just an example but this selects a header called
amqp-delivery with the value fadams
// any selector could be used.
filter = new JMSSelectorFilter("amqp-delivery = 'fadams'");
// Later in say onMessage(Message message)
if (filter.matches((AbstractJMSMessage)message)) {
// Logic for matching message.

}

Clearly the code above isn't ideal as it isn't pure JMS and also it uses
internal classes that could change, but it's the closest approximation
that I could get to using message selectors that gave me some finer control.

Hope this helps you guys. I'd really like to see selectors behaving in a
way that acknowledges selected messages and leaves unselected messages
on the queue, this is what I'd intuitively expect to happen.

If that's not possible at the least it would be nice to have the
JMSSelectorFilter exposed as an "official" Qpid API so it could be used
without fear of it suddenly disappearing.

I'd be interested in thoughts on this, I've been meaning to bring it up
again but have been distracted on other things.

Frase