qpid-users mailing list archives

From m.luc...@smartasking.com
Subject Re: Duplating Messages
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2012 14:30:09 GMT

Thanks guys!!

We are going to first try the direct approach : a modified client that will browse all message
and selectively consume.  We will get back to you with our findings... (and more questions
for sure ;)

thanks again,

Matthew

-----Original Message-----
From: "Rob Godfrey" <rob.j.godfrey@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:12am
To: users@qpid.apache.org
Subject: Re: Duplating Messages

OK... so as Gordon says in his e-mail, there's two basic approaches
one can take... either attempting to use the lower level AMQP 0-10
commands to selectively consume messages at the client, or to separate
out the browsing and consuming into separate activities (e.g. one
pattern I have seen is to set up one consumer in a "browse only" mode
and then for each message you want to "consume" create a consumer with
a selector matching the message id of the message... obviously this
has a higher overhead however).

Both brokers will support both these approaches, the Java Broker
supports the older AMQP 0-9-1 protocol in addition to 0-10 which I
mention in case you have been using any particular client libraries
with RabbitMQ (Rabbit speaks AMQP 0-9-1 and not AMQP 0-10).

In terms of the Qpid clients, our Java client doesn't really offer an
easy API (or a supported one) for accessing the 0-10 protocol
directly, instead being focused on JMS.  the pattern described above
can be used from the JMS API, the only issue is that we may need to do
a bit of work to get the client running on Android - I think someone
was highlighting the use of JNDI being an issue there.

Cheers,
Rob

On 25 April 2012 16:02,  <m.luchak@smartasking.com> wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> That's great to hear!!  We are using Java clients for web and Android.  As far as the
broker is concerned if the performance is equal we would opt for Java..  For furthur discussion
we can assume that we are using Java clients and the Java broker running on Ubuntu 11.10 64bit.

> thanks very much,
> Matthew

queue subscribed to  a topic exchange.  We are calling this the UserQueue.  This queue needs
to be read concurrently by the same human user connecting with multiple "devices" (web client,
Android, desktop).  These devices must receive all of the messages on the queue.

>> Currently we are using RabbitMQ and it is not possible to have two devices connected
concurrently to the same queue that receive all of the messages.

>> Round robin is not an option as we need all connected devices to receive all of the
messages at the same time.

>> Using temporary queues to subscribe to the exchange is not an option as we need to
receive messages that were published when the  human user was not logged on with any device.

>> Here's our idea;
>>
>> TopicExchange -> UserQueue (durable) <-- Multiple Concurrent Users (receive
all messages)

>> We are looking at using browse to enable this functionality. Does this seem doable?
>>
>> thanks for all your help,
>> Matthew

pc and smartphone), in this case I want to make sure he receives the same message in both
devices, but in the moment he take some action over this message I have to remove it from
queue. Woking with only one kill for the same user seems like the easier way

>> Another option is to use a "fanout" exchange. Each receiver binds a private
>> queue to the exchange and your sender sends messages to the exchange. A fanout
>> exchange sends each message it receives to all of the queues bound to it.

of them receive all the messages from this queue?