qpid-users mailing list archives

From "Davide Anastasia" <Davide.Anasta...@qualitycapital.com>
Subject RE: QMF Tutorial
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2012 17:58:48 GMT
Hi Fraser,
Thanks for your quick reply!
My primary language is C++ and I use the messaging API and QMF2. However
I am not scared to prototype something in Python.

What I am trying to do is to log connections of components owning to a
certain "family", let's say all the components that can serve a certain
type of request, so that a central "hub" knows how many potential
consumers are available at every time. I thought it was the perfect
scenario for a customized heartbeat, but I guess I can achieve the same
result with the QMF, getting notification on connect and disconnect
events.
Am I going in the right direction? Does this make sense to you?

Best,
Davide

-----Original Message-----
From: Fraser Adams [mailto:fraser.adams@blueyonder.co.uk]
Sent: 16 March 2012 16:49
To: users@qpid.apache.org
Subject: Re: QMF Tutorial

Hi Davide
What language are you interested in?

I'm afraid QMF is still a bit disjoint you might be aware that there are
two variants:

QMF1 which uses a compact binary protocol and the QMF1 API - that's what
the bundled qpid tools such as qpid-config, qpid-stat etc. use. That has
good python support, I *think* the C++ API works but the Java
implementation is very broken

QMF2 uses a protocol based on Map messages, that is *relatively* easy to
drive just by using Map messages because it's primarily in the form of
key/value pairs. The QMF2 API has a specification hanging off the qpid
wiki QMF pages There's I believe a prototype python implementation and
I've written a Java implementation that covers the full API there's also
a C++ API for QMF2 but unfortunately that bears no relation whatsoever
to the API specified off the wiki???

As I say it's rather disjoint :-(

The main QMF page is here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/qpid-management-framework.html

A tutorial for the QMF1 python stuff is here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/qmf-python-console-tutorial.html
I recently wrote a connection logger application using this old API it's
linked to this Jira and might give you some ideas

The QMF2 documentation lives off here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/qmfv2-project-page.html

The Java QMF2 stuff I did is linked off this Jira

HTH
Frase