qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: qpid-route weirdness between 0.8 qpid-route and 0.6 broker
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2012 22:15:46 GMT
On 02/10/2012 09:37 AM, Fraser Adams wrote:
> So firstly
> Yes I know these are ancient and should be upgraded ASAP but
> unfortunately they're not mine.....
>
> One of my team has had cause to federate between a 0.6 source broker and
> a 0.8 destination broker. He's been using the tools (qpid-config and
> qpid-route) from the 0.8 box to create queue routes (source queue routes
> using the -s option on qpid-route).
>
> The destination broker was being moved from one host to another so he
> needed to remove the old queue route and add a new one but unfortunately
> he couldn't remove the route.
>
> As he reported it to me he basically found some weirdness....
>
> I believe that he could add a source route from 0.6 to 0.8 using
> qpid-route -s using the 0.8 version of qpid-route however I believe that
> he couldn't remove the route. OTOH I believe that he /could/ remove the
> route using the 0.6 version of qpid-route, but I don't *think* that he
> could actually add a route using the 0.6 version.
>
> I believe that under the covers the 0.8 version of qpid-route onwards
> essentially uses the QMF create method on the broker object to create a
> link and the bridge method on the link thus created to create the route
> however I haven't a clue how 0.6 works (I started using Qpid from 0.8 so
> I've not looked any earlier). My hunch is that 0.6 either uses something
> different or there are subtle differences in the method semantics that
> leads to weirdness.

Actually the 0.6, 0.8 and even trunk versions currently use
Broker.connect() and Link.bridge() methods. Using the Broker.create()
would be cleaner and more uniform and I would imagine that will be done
at some point.

> I realise that this is somewhat like archeology now but it would be nice
> to have an understanding of what might be going on. It would be useful
> to have some specific evidence when I go about persuading people to
> upgrade.

There have been lots of small fixes since those versions, both to
qpid-route and to federation itself. There is nothing specific I can
think of. I suspect upgrading (even if it just so both are 0.8) may be
the shortest route to resolution. Alternatively a little bit more info
on any errors or log entries etc might trigger a thought in someones mind.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org