qpid-users mailing list archives

From Praveen M <lefthandma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Qpid Java Broker High Availability solution?
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2012 16:13:02 GMT
Hi Rob,

Thanks for writing. Please see inline.

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 1:35 AM, Rob Godfrey <rob.j.godfrey@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Praveen,
>
> On 14 January 2012 02:47, Praveen M <lefthandmagic@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> >   Are there any java broker high availability/clustering solutions that
> > are currently present? I tried googling around and didn't find anything
> > my luck.
> >
> > Can you please suggest a HA strategy that you've used working with the
> Qpid
> > Java Broker?
> >

> So where I work we have two separate strategies for "HA" and disaster
> recovery.
>
> For HA we use synchronous replication of the BDB store, with external
> software monitoring the availability of the primary broker machine.  If the
> primary broker machine goes down, the external software starts up the
> secondary broker machine, which points to the synchronously replicated
> instance of the store... it can also handle reassignment of the IP address
> / DNS name.

*Is there a reason that you use an external software to monitor the
availability of the primary broker machine.?*
*Shouldn't the connection failover model be sufficient enough for this? Or
does the failover model have any limitations? *
*
*
*Also, you mention synchronous replication of BDB. Can you please write a
bit about how you go about doing this? I think with syncCommit false, sync
replication could be something that could work for us too without
really jeopardizing the enqueue latencies.*

> For DR we take regular snapshots of the BDB store files and ship these
> using an FTP-like mechanism to a DR site.  Clearly with this solution you
> run the risk of loss as you only have a snapshot from a known point in
> time, not from the very moment the system went down.
>
> *Ah yes, this runs the risk of losing messages. Did you not consider a
synchronous replication in this case too?*
*Or is it because of the distance of the DR site that could contribute to
high latency round trips. Just curious.*

In our model our transaction store which contains a copy of the message
will be DR'ed.

> > I found a Message Federation design proposal document, but I'm guessing
> > it's not implemented yet (Please correct me if I'm wrong).
> >

> There is an alpha/beta implementation of Message Federation in the Java
> Broker, which follows the same design as that in the C++ broker and uses
> the same toolset to create routes.  This code is broken in the most recent
> releases of the Java Broker, but should work "better" from trunk... however
> I'm not going to give any guarantees on it's suitability for a production
> system right now (I hope to be doing some serious testing/fixing over the
> next couple of months).
>

> > I plan to spin off two brokers on two different machines and use a
> failover
> > connection model to route messages to one if the other goes down. This
> > works well for message enqueues.
> > But still, I'd run the risk of not being able to process the messages in
> > the broker that just went down (until it's back up). It will be nice to
> > know if someone had solved a similar problem by other
> > strategies/solutions available with the broker.
> >
> > Also, has someone tried replicating the database used for
> > the persistent store to solve this problem (BDB/Derby ?)
> >

> As above, we use replication, but managed by hardware/external software.
> I've not yet tried using BDB's own HA solutions to provide replication.
>
> *well. Is the replication  too driven by an external software. I'm
curious on how you go about doing a synchronous*
*replication with BDB (as this is the route that we might want to take).
Any tips here will be useful. *
*
*
*If you are allowed to talk about the hardware/external software piece I'd
love to hear more about your HA*
*architecture. (I do understand sometimes NDAs might stop you. If so, it's
okie).*

> > Please do share your experience in this area.
> >

> Hope this helps,

*It sure does. Thanks a lot for taking your time to write. *

--
-Praveen