qpid-users mailing list archives

From Praveen M <lefthandma...@gmail.com>
Subject Qpid Java Broker with persistance supports only finite number of messages?
Date Sun, 01 Jan 2012 17:46:44 GMT
Hi,

I was digging in the code base and was trying to understand how the broker
is implemented.
I see that for each message enqueued there are certain objects kept in
memory one for each message.

example: MessageTransferReference, SimpleQueueEntryImpl etc.

I tried computing the memory footprint of each individual message and it
amounts about 320 bytes/message.
I see that because of the footprint of each message,  if i'm limited to 4GB
of memory, then I am limited to only about 13 million messages in the
system at one point.

Since I'm using a persistent store I'd have expected to go over 13 million
messages and be limited by disk store rather than physical memory, but
I realized this isn't the case.

I am curious as to what were the driving points for this design decision to
keep a reference to every message in memory. I'd have expected in a FIFO
queue you just need a subset of messages in memory and can  pull in
messages on demand rather than maintain reference to every message in
memory.

Can someone please explain as to the reasons for this design? Also, was it
assumed that we'd never flood the queues over 13 million messages at one
time. Was there a bound
decided upon?

Thank you,
Praveen