qpid-users mailing list archives

From Fraser Adams <fraser.ad...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: qpid 0.12 make fails on Linux Mint 12 (I think derived from Ubuntu 11.10)
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2012 09:26:30 GMT
Thanks for the "me too" Kalle. I was beginning to wonder if it was just me.

Out of curiosity did you try the patch that I submitted in the Jira
associated with this thread?

As well as link errors I also got compilation errors (really promoted
warnings) about unused return types, so I also included Cajus'
fix-unused.patch. I believe doing ./configure --disable-warnings would
resolve this too.

In my case if I added the patches and did.

cd qpid/cpp
export LDFLAGS=-L`dirname $(pwd)`/cpp/src/.libs
./bootstrap
./configure
make
sudo make install

*in that order*

I got a clean build (on Linux Mint 12 at least, which is apparently
derived from Ubuntu 11.10)

You say "Older ubuntus seem to have no problem (natty for example) "
that wasn't my experience. I was previously running Ubuntu Studio 9
which was based on Karmic (so a couple of years old) before I upgraded
to Mint 12 over Xmas. With the Karmic derivative I had to do the LDFLAGS
bit above to get a clean build, but I didn't have to patch the
Makefile.am though as I've said previously in this thread as far as I
can see this latter problem looks like it could be related to the
behaviour of ld in recent gcc versions being more pedantic.

I guess the core qpid guys use RedHat so I wonder what compiler version
they are using - though as I've posted earlier I've seen what look like
related linker issues on other projects posted to Fedora forums so I'm
curious whether it "just works" on a recent Fedora derivative.

Perhaps it's all just some voodoo related to automake configurations on
particular distributions - automake is black magic to me :-(

Regards,
Frase

> The compilation problem plagues us too, and I've made it compile really crudely by using
ldflags.

> It seems that the linker does not pick up the compiled libraries from src/.lib, nor the
boost ones. As to what makes it go so bad, I can only wonder. Older ubuntus seem to have no
problem (natty for example). I would like to be able to update my environments, but losing
smooth quid support seems hardly a bargain. :(

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org