qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: How can you do at-least-one in federated broker?
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 09:49:41 GMT
On 11/01/2011 09:09 PM, Daryoush Mehrtash wrote:
> Is there a notion of negative ack?    For instance, if the destination
> broker gets a message that is corrupted, can it n-ack it?

There is such a mechanism in AMQP, but the inter-broker routing does not
use it. Brokers can't detect corruption of the message bodies - they are
treated as opaque byte sequences - and they treat any malformed frames
as a client error and terminate the connection.

> General question.....  I am confused as to extend to which AQMP defines the
> interactions.   It seems that it does defined the client to broker but I am
> not sure about inter-broker protocol.   Is the protocol between the brokers
> also defined in AQMP?

The protocol used between the brokers is compliant AMQP 0-10[1]. One
broker is treated as a client of the other (in fact other than for
setting up the connection, each broker views the other as a regular
client[2]). Setting up the links is done through Qpid specific
management commands however.

[1] There is one minor exception to this rule, a defect in the
implementation rather than a concious design choice, whereby the broker
does not attach the session for 'push routes' in a compliant manner.

[2] There is a qpid specific property that is set on a connection to
indicate that it is a connection from another broker. This is used to
allow transfer of message with a userid other than that used for the link.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org