qpid-users mailing list archives

From Carl Trieloff <cctriel...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: ring queues
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2011 16:28:31 GMT
On 10/05/2011 11:07 AM, Wisler, Trina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a queue setup with max message count of 100 and as a ring queue.  The single client
creating that queue will consume 1 message and then wait indefinitely (for the purpose of
my test).  I am producing a total of 250 messages.  As I would expect, qpid-tool reports that
250 messages have been enqueued and 150 have been dequeued (presumably due to the oldest messages
being overwritten).  Here is a snippet from qpid-tool

>     property   arguments              {u'qpid.max_count': 100, u'qpid.policy_type': u'ring'}
>     property   altExchange            <NULL>
>     statistic  msgTotalEnqueues       250 messages
>     statistic  msgTotalDequeues       150
>    statistic  msgTxnEnqueues         0
>     statistic  msgTxnDequeues         0
>     statistic  msgPersistEnqueues     0
>     statistic  msgPersistDequeues     0
>     statistic  msgDepth               100
>
> However, when I resume my client, I would expect that it only will receive the 100 remaining
messages on the queue, but instead it completes with all 250.  I'm slightly confused by this
because the definition of a ring queue states : ""RING : start overwriting messages in a ring
based on sizing. If head meets tail, advance head".  The behavior I want is for it to overwrite
older messages once the queue reaches max size.

> We are using qpid .06, working on upgrading to .12.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Trina Wisler

The behaviour you see seems incorrect. The ring queue implementation has
been refactored between 0.6 and 0.12 so if you are going to update, if
you can do that and report back, this make is easier to try work out
what is going on if we are both on the latest version.

btw, which client are you using, not that it should matter.

Carl.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org