qpid-users mailing list archives

From Vijay Devadhar <vdevad...@salesforce.com>
Subject RE: Are you using Apache QPID in production?
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 17:10:16 GMT
Kerry,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are pondering about using it in production.
We are a linux shop so we will mostly avoid the limitations that you mentioned.
Also, we are most likely to code the failover ourselves and point to the standby broker
when the original fails.

I am worried about lost messages, stuck queues, corrupted queues etc., and was glad
to see you did not mention any of those.

Thanks
Vijay

-----Original Message-----
From: Kerry Bonin [mailto:kerrybonin@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2011 6:58 PM
To: users@qpid.apache.org
Subject: Re: Are you using Apache QPID in production?

We're using it in several enterprise class projects over several product
lines.  Unfortunately we primarily deploy only on Windows platforms, which
are treated as something of a second class citizen in the current (*nix
dominated) developer community.  Our biggest problems were broker fault
tolerance and the ability to run the brokers as a Windows service (we
submitted a patch to enable this feature.)  While the C++ client does
contain a rudimentary failover capability, it does not have automatic
failover recovery when a failed broker comes back online, so service
"splits" are possible (and common) in a long running system with less than
perfect connectivity or incomplete uptime (active clients switch to the
second broker and stay there, new clients connect to the first broker and
don't know about each other.)  Because of the way Boost was used to hide the
internal implementation, we ended up having to write a complete wrapper to
implement application transparent broker recovery.  In the Linux broker
deployments this problem does not exist due to good support for federation
and clustering, but these features are built on OpenAIS, which is a *nix
only solution and implemented in such a way as to be very difficult to port
to Windows.  The documentation is poor and incomplete, but slowly getting
better.  All that said, it works very well, and I would probably pick it
again had I an opportunity to choose again knowing what I know now...

Kerry

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org