qpid-users mailing list archives

From "Wisler, Trina" <Trina.Wis...@hp.com>
Subject ring queues
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2011 15:07:33 GMT
Hi,

I have a queue setup with max message count of 100 and as a ring queue.  The single client
creating that queue will consume 1 message and then wait indefinitely (for the purpose of
my test).  I am producing a total of 250 messages.  As I would expect, qpid-tool reports that
250 messages have been enqueued and 150 have been dequeued (presumably due to the oldest messages
being overwritten).  Here is a snippet from qpid-tool

    property   arguments              {u'qpid.max_count': 100, u'qpid.policy_type': u'ring'}
    property   altExchange            <NULL>
    statistic  msgTotalEnqueues       250 messages
    statistic  msgTotalDequeues       150
   statistic  msgTxnEnqueues         0
    statistic  msgTxnDequeues         0
    statistic  msgPersistEnqueues     0
    statistic  msgPersistDequeues     0
    statistic  msgDepth               100

However, when I resume my client, I would expect that it only will receive the 100 remaining
messages on the queue, but instead it completes with all 250.  I'm slightly confused by this
because the definition of a ring queue states : ""RING : start overwriting messages in a ring
based on sizing. If head meets tail, advance head".  The behavior I want is for it to overwrite
older messages once the queue reaches max size.

We are using qpid .06, working on upgrading to .12.

Thanks in advance.
Trina Wisler