qpid-users mailing list archives

From Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: routing messages to another broker that has lost connection
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 20:37:44 GMT
Brandon,

You can do this with a queue route (i.e. the downstream broker
subscribes to an existing queue).

Static exchange routes may be durable, meaning they will reappear after
a restart, but their queues are always transient.  Furthermore, when the
route is down, there is no queue to hold the messages produced.

If you create a queue, then establish a queue route to draw from that
queue, the messages will accumulate there when the downstream broker is
disconnected.

When you set up the route in qpid-route, use the --ack N option with an
N greater than zero.  This causes the brokers to acknowledge messages
and will ensure that in-doubt messages (i.e. in flight during the
failure) will be re-transmitted upon reconnection.

The qpid-route syntax is:

     qpid-route [OPTIONS] queue add <dest-broker> <src-broker>
<exchange> <queue> [mechanism]

where <exchange> is the name of the exchange on <dest-broker> where
messages will be delivered to and <queue> is the name of the queue on
<src-broker> where messages will be received from.

-Ted