qpid-users mailing list archives

From Jakub Scholz <ja...@scholz.cz>
Subject Producer flow control for flow-to-disk queues
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2011 14:22:30 GMT
Hi,

The producer flow control on queues is by default configured to 80% of
the queue size / queue count (that can be changed in the
configuration). The exception are the RING or RING-STRICT queues,
where the default values are not applied.

However, I believe that the default settings do not make sense for
flow-to-disk queues as well. For flow-to-disk queues, the max-count
and max-size values should configure only the number of messages hold
in the memory of the broker. All messages above this value should be
flown to the disk, where they will be stored. Therefore using the
default threshold values makes no sense, because you don't want to
create flow to disk queue and then stop the produce using a threshold
based only the max-size and max-count options.

Of course, you can always set the flow-stop-size and flow-stop-count
to zero and thus disable the flow control. But I would say it would
make sense to modify the behaviour and ignore the default threshold
values not only for ring and ring-strict, but also for flow-to-disk
queues. What do you think?

Regards
JAkub

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org