qpid-users mailing list archives

From fadams <fraser.ad...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: I seem to be getting spurious exchangeDeclare Events as a result of sending to a replyTo address.
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2011 16:49:58 GMT
Thanks for the update Gordon - glad I'm not imagining things :-)

I'm curious though. What's the reason for validating a replyTo address using
an exchange declare? What I mean by that is that I'd have thought that in
general a reply to address gets sent by a producer client as its return
address and in the normal case this address would be a valid one that the
producer has added on to the request message it has sent.

Now clearly it's possible for that address to not be valid either through
accident, long time lag between request/response or something malicious -
but isn't that an exception condition? So what would happen if the
validation didn't take place? If the replyTo message gets sent to an invalid
address won't that simply result in an exception from the broker? Surely
given that the normal condition is that the address actually exists it's
wasteful to do a validity check that costs an exchange declare and it's
better to get an exception in an exception condition.

Have I missed something subtle?

Regards,
Frase