qpid-users mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: qpid-config slow
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2011 13:29:27 GMT
On 07/20/2011 10:43 AM, Pavel Moravec wrote:
> Hi all,
> I realised on every qpid version&  system I used a poor performance of qpid-config
tool. It usually takes 2 to 3 seconds to execute a command, e.g.:

> # time qpid-config add queue test
>
> real 0m2.243s
> user 0m0.161s
> sys 0m0.027s
> # time qpid-config del queue test
>
> real 0m2.303s
> user 0m0.208s
> sys 0m0.037s
> #
>
> I wrote a simple C++ program to emulate some parts of qpid-config tool by connecting
to the broker and sending proper QMF message(s). The program executes equivalent stuff almost
instantly.

> Why is qpid-config so slow? Is there some timeout waiting for (potentially negative)
response? Does it make sense / would not it be usefull to speed it up?

It's an issue with QMF. Setting up the initial QMF connection is very slow. I'm
not sure why. It most definitely would be good to speed it up, it annoys me no end.

If you have a large number of operations to do, you can write your own client in
python that sets up the QMF connection once, then uses it to do all the work.
That's not particularly easy right now, qpid-config is not set up to be reused
like that. It would be nice to have a little python API that mirrors the command
line arguments to qpid-config. It would be even nicer to fix the real problem by
getting the QMF init time down to something reasonable.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org