qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: federation - push routes?
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2011 12:27:53 GMT
On 07/17/2011 05:16 PM, fadams wrote:
> Hello,
> With broker federation it's normal to configure the destination broker to
> create a link and bridge to a source broker, however it's also possible to
> specify a flag in qpid-route to have the source-broker establish a link to a
> destination broker a "push route".
>
> Could someone please let me know what the relative merits are. There's not
> much in the documentation except: "By default, a message route is created by
> configuring the destination broker, which then contacts the source broker to
> subscribe to the source queue. This is called a pull route. It is also
> possible to create a route by configuring the source broker, which then
> contacts the destination broker in order to send messages. This is called a
> push route, and is particularly useful when the destination broker may not
> be available at the time the messaging route is configured, or when a large
> number of routes are created with the same destination exchange. "
>
> In my scenario I'm likely to have lots of source brokers and few destination
> brokers so at face value from the comment above looks like push routes are a
> good idea, but I can't really see concrete benefits. Would this improve
> efficiency of the destination broker in any way?

No, there is unlikely to be any gain in efficiency. The push routes are
really for the case where firewall rules dictate the direction the
connection must be established in (the application dictates the
direction you want the messages to flow in). The other case (more
theoretical now, but seemed valid at the time) was to allow links to
other 0-10 brokers (i.e. not Qpid brokers) that did not support the
federation controls. From the perspective of such brokers, the push
links would look exactly like regular clients.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org