qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: QMF Questions....
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2011 13:35:25 GMT
On 07/01/2011 02:17 PM, Carl Trieloff wrote:
> On 06/30/2011 12:50 PM, Gordon Sim wrote:

>>> This should however be trivial to add and quite useful.
>>>
>>> add an R param for it to management-schema.xml, and the initialize it in
>>> the construction of the queue.
>>
>> I think a more useful change would be to expose the current broker
>> configuration.
>>
>> If you want to modify the schema for the queue then I think the right
>> approach is to explicitly model the actual policy values in use (at
>> present it is just the arguments presented when the queue was created
>> that are exposed).
>

> I think it would be better to add the defaults to the queue args on
> queue construction. that way they will
>
> a.) show up in QMF data,
> b.) it is simpler and we don't have to maintain a separate model,
> c.) if the queue is persisted and then restored, it will restore with
> the defaults at the time of creation, and not be affected by config
> changes, or broker updates

That is one way of doing the modelling certainly, and I wouldn't object
to it.

I think you need to be consistent about it though and have the
'arguments' essentially represent the properties of the queue. We would
then want to remove any unrecognised options (detecting those is
something I've wanted to do for sometime now anyway). We would want to
ensure that the policy recorded was the one used (and not the one
specified which is not always the same things) etc.

I agree that having a loose set of properties defined in the schema that
are then more easily evolvable is nice (of course the schema then is not
a sufficient description on it's own, but I don't have an issue with that).

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org