qpid-users mailing list archives

From fadams <fraser.ad...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject federation - push routes?
Date Sun, 17 Jul 2011 16:16:07 GMT
Hello,
With broker federation it's normal to configure the destination broker to
create a link and bridge to a source broker, however it's also possible to
specify a flag in qpid-route to have the source-broker establish a link to a
destination broker a "push route".

Could someone please let me know what the relative merits are. There's not
much in the documentation except: "By default, a message route is created by
configuring the destination broker, which then contacts the source broker to
subscribe to the source queue. This is called a pull route. It is also
possible to create a route by configuring the source broker, which then
contacts the destination broker in order to send messages. This is called a
push route, and is particularly useful when the destination broker may not
be available at the time the messaging route is configured, or when a large
number of routes are created with the same destination exchange. "

In my scenario I'm likely to have lots of source brokers and few destination
brokers so at face value from the comment above looks like push routes are a
good idea, but I can't really see concrete benefits. Would this improve
efficiency of the destination broker in any way?

Many thanks
Fraser