qpid-users mailing list archives

From "Fallon, Richard" <richard.fal...@atosorigin.com>
Subject RE: Qpid Default Configuration
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 15:48:22 GMT

I've not had access to my mail for some time, but thanks all for your responses.

ACL sounds like the way forward but I still have the worst case scenario that some users who
may not subscribe fast enough and do not set up their queue appropriately, as we are in a
self-service environment, are at risk of spoiling it for others.

And you can bet that the users who try to take more data than they consume are also the users
who don't set up their queues correctly!

Minor niggles.

Great product!

-----Original Message-----
From: Rajith Attapattu [mailto:rajith77@gmail.com]
Sent: 09 May 2011 17:20
To: users@qpid.apache.org
Subject: Re: Qpid Default Configuration

I tested the ACL method (deny mode) and it does work.
"acl allow <user/group> create queue  policytype=ring"
(All though if you use "allow" mode it will not work as the default value for queue policy
is empty and it's not allowed to be specified in ACL at the moment).

Having a configurable default queue policy type will be very convenient as a user does not
have to specify it explicitly.
But as Jakub points out even if you configure a default, a user could overwrite it if they
want.
So having the ACL rule will prevent that.

Regards,

Rajith

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Jakub Scholz <jakub@scholz.cz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Based on my experience, I would assume, that if you want your
> customers to use RING type queues, you should anyway force it using
> ACL, since even when the default policy type is implemented, the
> consumer will be probably able to overwrite the default value. You can
> use
>
> acl allow <Consumer> create queue name=<QueueName> policytype=ring
>
> BTW: It seems that the ACL property "policytype" is missing in the
> table 1.6 in chapter 1.5.2.1 of the "AMQP Messaging Broker
> (Implemented in C++)" book. Is a JIRA ticket used for the
> documentation changes as well? Should I enter one for this problem?
>
> Regards
> Jakub
>
> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 16:48, Rajith Attapattu <rajith77@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Unfortunately not at present.
>>
>> I created a JIRA to track this.
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-3248
>>
>> However you could probably do this  by using ACL.
>> i.e to restrict every queue being created to the required policy of your choice.
>> The added benefit here is that you could have different queue
>> policies by users (or groups of users).
>>
>> Let me test this out and get back to you.
>>
>> Rajith

>>> - Apache Qpid - AMQP Messaging Implementation
>>> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org
>>> Use/Interact: mailto:users-subscribe@qpid.apache.org

>> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Atos Origin and Atos Consulting are trading names used by the Atos Origin group.  The following
trading entities are registered in England and Wales:  Atos Origin IT Services UK Limited
(registered number 01245534) and Atos Consulting Limited (registered number 04312380).  The
registered office for each is at 4 Triton Square, Regents Place, London, NW1 3HG.The VAT No.
for each is: GB232327983

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee,
and may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you receive this e-mail in error,
you are not authorised to copy, disclose, use or retain it.  Please notify the sender immediately
and delete this email from your systems.   As emails may be intercepted, amended or lost,
they are not secure.  Atos Origin therefore can accept no liability for any errors or their
content.  Although Atos Origin endeavours to maintain a virus-free network, we do not warrant
that this transmission is virus-free and can accept no liability for any damages resulting
from any virus transmitted.   The risks are deemed to be accepted by everyone who communicates
with Atos Origin by email.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org