qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Is there a way to monitor and control client broker failover activity?
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2011 12:46:52 GMT
On 06/24/2011 10:21 PM, Kerry Bonin wrote:
> We are experiences some issues with failover (reports that not all clients
> are failing over on primary broker failure), and would like to know if there
> is any way from the client library API to know when a failover occurs and to
> which broker the failover has occurred?

No, I'm afraid there is not at present.

> On a related note, is there any way to tell the client to return to earlier
> brokers once they come back online?

No there is not.

> Otherwise its possible to have clients
> spread across brokers.  This may be fine when federation and/or clustering
> is on, but IIRC that still isn't an option for Windows users...

Without some broker-to-broker communication, you could only detect that
the earlier broker was back online by periodically trying to connect
from the client process. Once you found it was, you would need to abort
the connection established to the backup and use the earlier broker (the
c++ API doesn't have a way of doing that,at present, it just has close()).

I'd suggest in this use case it may be simpler to turn automatic
reconnect off and handle reconnection yourself. There may be ways in
which we could enhance the API to make this simpler and I'd be keen to
hear suggestion on that.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org