qpid-users mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: perftest performance and qpid messaging api
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:03:55 GMT
On 06/27/2011 06:25 AM, Ilyushonak Barys wrote:
> Hi, folks.
>
> I have done some tests in my environment and faced with very strange behavior.
> Perftest works in some times faster (average 5), than my custom code (c++ client). I'm
speaking about relative value in constant environment.
> The main question is: is any difference in performance between client api and messaging
api?
> The perftest use client api (which deprecated after v0.6), I use messaging api.
>
> I have goal to increase subscriber performance, so I tried varied things, like
>
> 1)      http://qpid.apache.org/books/0.10/Programming-In-Apache-Qpid/html/ch02s06.html
>
> 2)      non-persistence messages
>
> 3)      reliability: unreliable/at-least-once
>
> 4)      using or not client acknowledge
> It allowed me to increase performance in 2 times. But my client still works in 5 times
slower, than perftest.

> Environment:
> I have clustered 0.8 c++ broker (virtual), and one workstation as a client machine.
> I use c++ client, constant message size (64 bytes) in both tests.

I did some benchmarks a while back and got similar performance for both APIs.
The new API has some slower settings by default but once all the parameters are
tweaked it's about the same.

I was comparing:

qpid_cpp_benchmark --receive-option link:{reliability:unreliable} --repeat 5
--messages 100000 --no-timestamp

perftest --count 100000 -s

qpid_cpp_benchmark is a python script that runs C++ clients qpid-send and
qpid-receive. You can find them all in Qpid SVN:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/trunk/qpid/cpp/src/tests/

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org