qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Is there any easy way for a client to detect which broker version it's connecting to?
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2011 15:14:14 GMT
On 06/24/2011 04:05 PM, fadams wrote:
> Re: "Are there any other differences you have noted?"
>
> Well yeah :-) as we've previously discussed Event subscriptions appear to
> return MapMessages in 0.8 and BytesMessages (which need to be decoded into
> Lists as per your example) in 0.10
>
> clearly I can use instanceof to get the Message derived type, but I was
> curious about alternatives as I'm not fond of overusing instanceof.

Right, that's what I meant by the content type. The message is actually
annotated with either amqp/map or amqp/list which lets you determine how
to handle that. However in JMS you can't get that information and need
to resort to instanceof as you point out (which I agree is not ideal).

> On a (QMF) related note I'm making real progress on my auditing client using
> the info you've previously supplied one thing is troubling me though. I
> noticed a post a couple of days ago on the subject of "Object IDs in QMF v2
> API". I've been using your example code to pull out queues/exchanges etc and
> I'm definitely seeing objectID (using ((Map)object.get("_object_id"));) but
> the API post seems to suggest "In the v2 API, the object ID is called
> DataAddr.  Refer to the hasAddr and getAddr methods in the Data class, "
> which don't look anything like I'm pulling out.

Ignore anything about the API. You are using the protocol directly.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org