qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: flow-to-disk limit policy does not work
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:32:41 GMT
On 06/22/2011 01:22 PM, Zhemzhitsky Sergey wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm using  qpid 0.8 and I'm trying to configure queue to use the limit-policy parameter
without luck.

> Here is the command to create a queue
>
> qpid-config add queue myQueue --durable --file-size=256 --file-count=96 --max-queue-count=100
--limit-policy=flow-to-disk

> Here is output of the top command after qpid starts
>
>    PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
> 28146 qpidd    19   0  123m 5596 4104 S  0.0  0.3   0:00.00 qpidd
>
> As you can see it uses ~5.6mb of memory.
>
> After I start to send non-persistent messages (size of each message is 32 bytes) without
consumption the output of the top command is the following:

>    PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
> 28146 qpidd    16   0 2541m 1.8g 3520 S 49.0 94.1   0:41.75 qpidd
>
> Now qpid consumes 1.8Gb and it continues to consume more.
>
> I'm wondering why so? How to make the queue to use the limit-policy parameter correctly?

That policy allows the body of the message to be released from memory,
but the headers etc will still be held in memory. For small messages
(such as the 32 byte message you are sending), this policy will not
really do anything useful.

Your use case really requires a proper paging solution which qpidd does
not yet support.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org